Substance Abuse Screening
- A nanny who uses illegal drugs or abuses prescription drugs or alcohol can jeopardize the safety of your children.
- It is best practice to conduct substance abuse screening on your nanny in order to ensure that your children are safe at home with them, even if the nanny is coming from an agency or from good recommendation.
- Do not put your children at risk. Add substance abuse screening to the nanny background check.
Nanny Interviewing Tips
1. Develop a list of questions to ask every applicant. This will help you maintain a uniform evaluation.
2. Require all applicants to bring a resume or employment history for the last five to 15 years (depending on their age).
3. The interview process should consist of at least two (preferably three) interviews:
-The first should not include the children and should involve covering the bulk of your questions.
-The second interview should be at your home with all family members present.
4. If you are still interested in the applicant, running a background check is the next step. If she hesitates or says no, you should rule her out as a potential candidate.