5 Best Practices for Screening your Nanny
- Perform a high-quality background check from a professional company. Avoid free online background checks as they are not as accurate and thorough.
- Check the applicant’s driving record. Is your nanny going to have to drive your kids around? If they are, get a review of their Motor Vehicle Record so you know your child will have safe transportation from school or sporting events.
- Check their references. Have your potential nanny provide references, personal and professional, so you can get a sense of their interpersonal skills and sense of responsibility.
- Interview. Set up an interview with the applicant and ask questions about themselves, their experience/training and their philosophy on being a nanny.
- Test how they interact with your child. Before you hire a nanny, make sure they get to meet your child so you can see how they act with children so you make a good match.